amx 12t

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

5everin #21 Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 79257 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
12-t can be lots of fun, it can also be very frustrating to play...

Frustrating because one hit is usually enough to mean the end of you either directly or because of module/crew damage. The very limited gun elevation/depression can also be a pain.(not sure if this has got better since 7.2)

However when all goes well it is a blast to play and is great training for the tanks to come. What works for this tank works much better on the 13-75 and 90.

Its quite versatile too, As well as an ambusher/sniper it can be used as a scout with some success, just dont take the t-50 approach as your just not agile enough. However it is good at taking a position and then spotting from the concealment of a bush due to its good cammo values.

Ps. Best kill in mine was a Jagdtiger... trapped him at the top of the 'corner' in arctic region and then emptied 2 whole magazines + a few more shots into his side.

Edited by 5everin, 17 May 2012 - 04:05 PM.

magicalme #22 Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19274 battles
My problem with this tank is the matchmaking. It definitely gets matched as a scout with tier 8 and 9 all the time. My lowest match tier ever with this tank was 7. That the AMX12t is NOT a scout should be very obvious from its stats: lowest view range of all tier 5 tanks, lowest radio range (360m lol), very weak acceleration for a light and lowest health (400 compared to 600 of the VK28 or 560 of T-50-2).

I also get tracked or engine destroyed by the very first hit I get while rushing to some position. It is probably just bad luck, but adds to my frustration as this tank does not survive a second hit (not even the first by any russian tier6+ tank).

6 shots in 10 seconds sounds nice, but the total of 600 damage you can do (if every shot penetrates, which is unlikely) will not kill anything you are up against.

Kazomir #23 Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 16676 battles
This tank is lacking even for a tier 5, and it gets sent into tier 8 battles.
It needs serious buff to mobility, maybe a third engine.

magicalme #24 Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19274 battles
I really wonder what it is that this tank is good at. The VK28 is better in every single aspect (health, view range, radio range, acceleration, top speed, camo value, armor). They have basically the same gun, but the VK can bounce shots from it.

The AMX12t takes 20 seconds of slight DOWNHILL driving to reach its top speed of 60. This tank is as much of a scout as the VK DB.

It also produces an awful lot of 0-damage hits. Match today me vs KV1 (75mm armor on front plate), which was distracted by a team mate. I was close enough to hit the upper front plate which is only slightly angled, so my 108mm penetration should be enough. The 6 shots: "penetration" 0 damage, "penetration" 0 damage, "penetration" 0 damage, "penetration" 90 damage, "we hit them hard" 0 damage, "penetration" 95 damage. Seriously, what module OUTSIDE of the main armor did I penetrate there in the middle of the front armor plate? The machine gun?

So how should I play this tank? Another match today: I rushed forward and caught an M18 TD from behind to rape it with my 6 shot burst. Then a Pershing was approaching going to the right side around a hill, I went left to get behind it. Again 6 damage hits in its back before it turned on me to kill my gun in 1 hit (the 12t really is losing at least 1 module with every hit), luckily the Pershing got killed soon after. Repaired my gun and went for the enemy base, killing both artillery. Then we lost by enemies capping in like 4 minutes. 1k xp, 36k credits. The whole situation was very unlikely though with a lonesome/distracted TD, then another lonely medium that I could get behind without being seen, and then no further enemies between me and the enemy base.

Redbush #25 Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2607 battles
it's okay but it really shines with good support play, someone to tank the enemy rounds while you go in with the amx12t to finish them off from the side/rear.
I do find open field maps a nightmare to play in, even more so the hilly ones. very hard to sneak up on anything when there's no buildings to save you.

Hammerdown #26 Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6640 battles
Instead of making juvenile fun of all those who officiously don't know how to play the AMX 12T, Why don't one of you geniuses explain en some detail, how to play it right and especially how not to.

I have just got into it from the AMX 40 and I am still struggling to get it right. Even thou I have so far to my amazement bagged a T29 and a KV2, and dammed a IS-8 (the last battle was rather a mouthful and fairly short).

flaa #27 Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5250 battles
  • [FNX] FNX

View PostNectaria, on 25 March 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

People that complain about those fast AMX's are the receiving end of the barrel, not the shooters.
I agree. I haven't heard anyone driving it complain about the performance of AMX 12t. I think it's a nicely balanced scout tank.

Cocodog13 #28 Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25598 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
im finding my 12t horrible at the moment (still only have the stock gun) every time i manage to get behind somthing its still just bounce bounce bounce. i thought the depresion/elevation would be an issue seeing as everyone whines like a little bitch about it but so far i didnt find it anywhere neer as big problem as not being able to pen even some t6 meds from behind.

Tanku49 #29 Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21544 battles
The one issue i had with the 12t was its acceleration, once it got up to speed it was fine, but gettting there was horrid, yes it has the speed to get out of trouble but you needed lots and lots of warning, its very sluggish so getting tracked is a double blow as once fixed it takes for ever to move off, and never ever try to turn at low speed itys brings you to a stop.

This i feel makes it a poor light tank, and a poor scout, i ended up using it more like a medium, or a ambush sniper depending on the map.

The 13 75 however doesnt have this problem, which makes it fun, fun fun, and fun.

NeddySeagoon #30 Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3315 battles
The French philosophy of these light vehicles (including the various armoured cars in the same period) was for a fast, lightly armoured platform for a very powerful gun, the idea being to be used as combat recon/flanking elements in a larger force. This is actually captured reasonably well in-game, and would be even better with larger maps.

Dominga #31 Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10435 battles
Goog game with AMX12t and some explanations.

CRO_PentiumPower #32 Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1821 battles
Pobjeda!
Bitka: Murovanka 13. lipnja 2012. 22:29:38
Vozilo: AMX 12t
Dobijeno iskustva: 826
Dobijeno kredita: 18.615
Dostignuća u borbi: Značka vještine: I klasa
statistically it's amongst the worser tier 5 tanks.
But the main problem is that it has to flank anything higher than tier 5 in order to damage/destroy it effectively.
That's the reason why it is best used as a support tank,
BUT, on the other hand, it can preform pretty good on it's own (but that's rare and one should have lotsa luck.).
Personally, I always stick to higher-tiered "comrades" that are pushing through the area with fewest enemies, and it works always. (Help them destroy that KV-1s, then banzai through the line to kill a lonely Jagdpanther (or dmg him to 4% HP) etc.
The only real drawback of the tank is virtually non-existing gun depression, which gets frustrating on maps like Murovanka (I spend the whole game on the hill, don't ask why :Smile-hiding: )
Bottom line, it's a perfect tank for opportunistic players, nothing more, nothing less!

SuperBidi #33 Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32193 battles
I'm quite succesful with AMX12t (60% wr), so, I answer the question of the guy asking how to play it.

2 ways to play it :
- Bugger/ambusher/the real AMX12t. Put yourself in a med position, so in the middle of hard cover. Enemies will come to you, as you're an easy prey. But they also know about you're autoloader. So, play with it. Move a lot, you are agile, and so small it's really hard to hit you. Force them to pursue you, always escape, don't try to face them, and shoot very few, one shot after the other, just to remember them you are here. If you do well, thinking about survival before real efficiency, they will do 2 things : Take risks to get you (and your allies shoot them hard), or completely ignore you, and this is your moment.
Always remember to reload a lot. The 6 shots in a row stuff, you don't do it much. In this situation, you play like any tank, shooting shots by shots. It takes few seconds (around 15) to reload, so, always do it when you see the enemy is not going after you immediately. So, they can't count your shots, and if they take risks, you are there with your 6 bullets.
- Scout. I go scout on certain maps (Malinovka, for example), when I just can't do my thing. It's the position by default, when you can't do anything else. But you're not very good at it. Even if you do the job far better than most tier 4 'scouts'.

Edited by SuperBidi, 18 June 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Tonyb1968 #34 Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27420 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
  • Get a T-50, then you know what manouverability is, the 13-75 is better, its still not perfect but the gun does more damage and its quicker, the amx 12t is a bit of a slug really, not fast, not agile, gun is ok, thats about it.

Kameho #35 Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 7844 battles
  • [LOLI] LOLI
Here, I will summarize why the AMX 12t is a BAD tank;

1: Compared to its other Tier V light tank counterparts. the Vk2801 with a 10.5 cm gun, the T-50-2 with a very high penetrating Zis-2 gun, and the Chaffe with a 75 gun that shoots just as fast as the AMX 12t and have high penetration to boot. Not to mention all theese other nation tanks mentioned, has a HUGE gap in manuverbility and acceleration compared to the french AMX 12t.

2: You might say "Well the AMX 13/90 is the one that is the end tree tier 5 scout tank counterpart" Is no excuse. the AMX 12t gets put in same matchmaking pool as the tier 5 scout tanks. It gets put very often in same battles as them. But is has nowhere near the quality of it. AND the amx 13/90 is a tier 7 tank. thats 2 tiers more than the tier 5 scout tanks, so it is in its own league.

3. AMX 12t has no gun elevation and depression, it can only aim at enemies at the same ground level as them. Terrain will give you a massive handicap with this tank.

4. Its gun, althou fast firing, and fast reload for a 6 shot magazine tank. lacks in damage due to low penetration. You can almost forget about penetrating front of tier 6 Normal-armor tanks. Normal armor tanks is basicly tanks with normal armor value and not design to be fast and light, like the Hellcat or light tanks.

5. Small HP pool and virtually no armor at all. Thus you take larger amount of damage, and higher the chanse of getting 1 shot killed by HE shells from any tank using 80mm+ guns.

6. Small crew, Easily get handicapped if just 1 crew member dies. Not to mention lack of crew abilities that a tank with big crew gets benefit of.

7. Turret in the back. Turret in the back is a major handicap, it means youll struggle in firing from cover, as you need to go in reverse to do so, wich lowers your already non-existant armor close to zero. Also exposing your engine weakness and makes you prone for engine damage / fire.

8. Poor accuracy. The top gun on the AMX 12t has poor accuracy. Ofcourse you can use all the time in the world to aim and fire at long range, but this against also makes the 12t even worse, it removes the advantage for its rapid firing gun. as a Normal single-shot tank would aim, reload and fire within the same speed it takes for the AMX12t to Aim and fire, thus handicapping you even further when you have to do the full cycle reload.

9. The Tank is just Overall bad. Just thinking about this tank gives me a raging headache.

And before you start posting:

"Oh wololo, you just need to learn to play the tank, you dont even know how to play it, thats not how you play it, omg noob, banana, chips and fried pork."

No. I do not need to learn how to play this tank cause i already do.

I know it's weaknesses, Knowing it's weaknesses is one of the major things you need to know about your tank in order to be good at it.

Regardless, Yes you can get some awesome battles out of it, you can reek in kills (*cough killsstealing cough*), caues searing pain in matter of seconds against a enemies rear. Sometimes you might go all out Rambo with this tank and win single handedly.

It still dosnt mean its a overall good tank. its a bad tank. Nomatter how you look at it.

Now if this was the only Tier 5 scout tank, then, yes it would be a better tank, as it has nothing to be compared against. althou MatchMaker still screws this tank over.

And regardless, I'd do way better in a M5 stuart than this.

T-50 stands a better chanse against a tier 8 heavy than this one does. and thats a tier 4 scout. /end of rambling story

Vahal #36 Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16075 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
the main reason why 12t is worse than T5 light from other nation is due to the simple fact that 12t is NOT a scout. And you feel it at the first time you drive this tank. average mobility, cruise speed around 40kph, dramatic speed loss when manoeuvring, poor acceleration, atrocious radio range, poor view range, camo seems to be poor too since with 100% crew in cam + camo net behind a bush I got killed lot of time WITHOUT ppl to scout me (why I know that? cause I killed the scouts or there was only one tank on my side).
In theory, the AMX12t has a favored MM but while the nice spreadsheet shows a favored MM, I have not the feeling my 12t had this MM! So basicaly, it has same MM than 13/75 so close to real T5 scouts wich means bad days.

You're right, the gun is BAD: no penetration (108mm, rly? while fighting T9 tanks?), insanely fucking bad accuracy especially on the move. you're more accurate with 152 troll gun! fast ROF yeah, but aiming time is crippling your speed so basicaly you can half the ROF. And this statement is right for 13/75 13/90 and Lorraine (I guess Batmobile too), accuracy on the move is so lame and aiming time so bad, that if you're not hull to hull with your target, you can miss it.

12t is the hard school to learn how to play AMX 13 serie but even if it's a second rate tank I found some fun with it. Especially when chasing TD which is a dangerous rewarding sport.

SnibediSnabs #37 Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14093 battles
It gets hellish matchmaking, yes. But it gives you the ability to rapidly take  >500hp off an enemy caught off-guard and fly out without being hit.

Vahal #38 Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16075 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
well, in good matches you can empty the drum, yeah but usually due to its low pen, crappy accuracy and long effective aiming time, you have around 2-3 shells wasted and fly with your bad acceleration and agility... not that easy.

rockmonkey #39 Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19484 battles

View PostTammo_Korsai, on 16 May 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

...., we sow confusion and chaos into the enemy,

Exactlly the best function for AMX lights.

I play mine to distract the enemy, passive spot, snipe, hit and run, anti scout and arty 'troll'.

Yes to all it's 'defaults' but it is a fun tank over all and can contribute to the team.

OldIronsides #40 Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4297 battles

View Posti_was_here_97, on 27 June 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

It gets hellish matchmaking, yes. But it gives you the ability to rapidly take  >500hp off an enemy caught off-guard and fly out without being hit.

500 HP is rather optimistic. Of your 6 six shots one will miss from point blank, one will bounce from the rear of the enemy KV-1, 3 Shots will do between 61 and 63 damage and one of them 90. This means if not one more shot goes astray because there is a really tiny bump in the ground you are crossing just in the moment you fire, meaning your gun suddenly points into the air or the ground.

This tiny tank _can_ have its moments of glory. But you are extremely dependant on luck and/or good team mates. This goes for this tank way more than for any other tank. Experience and skill in driving the 12t can only reduce the amount of luck you need.

And posting pictures of that one glorious battle where you could really shine doesn't help. I've killed 8 in M3 Lee at least twice and earned huge amounts. Doesn't make it a great tank, aye?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users