Jump to content


Calculating Armour Effectiveness


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

PrivateAli #1 Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 3,407
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
Yeah, first of all, i'm not really a newcomer, i know, but the answer of this question might help some newcomers to understand how to calculate armour effectiveness.


I was trying to calculate T110s upper glacis plate, which is 254mm thick, at 30° angle (from the horizontal) i believe, so i typed into my calculator "254 (nominal armour thickness) / sin(30°)

The result was: -257.07mm Armour Thickness - dafuq?

so i tried again with sin(60°)

The Result was: - 833.04mm Armour Thickness - dafuq? x2

SO, how do i calculate the effective armour?

klesk #2 Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,685
  • Member since:
    09-09-2010
254 / cos(30) = 293.2939

Somebody please correct me if Im wrong.

EDIT: if shell strikes at 60 degres then:

254/cos(60) = 508

I know for a fact that 60 degres will double the effective thicknes of armor, so this is the correct way (disregarding shell normalisation, loss of penetration with range...)

the_forge #3 Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 71
  • Member since:
    01-14-2011
Basic math. I made a simple image to clarify the situation.
Posted Image

PrivateAli #4 Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 3,407
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011

View Postklesk, on 15 March 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

254 / cos(30) = 293.2939

Somebody please correct me if Im wrong.

EDIT: if shell strikes at 60 degres then:

254/cos(60) = 508

I know for a fact that 60 degres will double the effective thicknes of armor, so this is the correct way (disregarding shell normalisation, loss of penetration with range...)

yeah, i found out that some settings in my calculator were screwed, resetted 'em, works smooth.

254 / sin(30) = 508

254 / sin(38) = ~412

Orkimedes #5 Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 27
  • Member since:
    11-19-2011

View PostPrivateAli, on 15 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

yeah, i found out that some settings in my calculator were screwed, resetted 'em, works smooth.

254 / sin(30) = 508

254 / sin(38) = ~412
You're still doing it wrong.
Use cosine, not sine. (that is, the cos button, not the sin button)
Also, make sure it's on degrees (usually abbriviated as deg) and not the other common option radials (occasionally also referred to as radions,abbriviated as rad)

RDDD #6 Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 278
  • Member since:
    08-12-2010
Here people.... http://www.panzerwor...rmourcalculator

If it has a 140mm plate angled at 30* that ca. 280mm effective armour ingame (before shell normalization).

PrivateAli #7 Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 3,407
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011

View PostOrkimedes, on 15 March 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

You're still doing it wrong.
Use cosine, not sine. (that is, the cos button, not the sin button)
Also, make sure it's on degrees (usually abbriviated as deg) and not the other common option radials (occasionally also referred to as radions,abbriviated as rad)

doesn't matter wether u use sine or cosine. the one is the angle from the horizontal, the other from the vertical - so if you got 30° from the horizontal, you take either sin(30) or cos(60). Thats one thing i still remember from math lessons :P

cos 90° = sin 0°
cos 30° = sin 60°
cos 60° = cos 30°
cos 0° = sin 90°

Loofah #8 Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 0 battles
  • 10,641
  • Member since:
    08-06-2011
Normalisation is 7 degrees for standard AP and around 11 for gold.
There is a nice tool on the net:
http://www.panzerwor...rmourcalculator

Panocek #9 Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 4,695
  • Member since:
    05-24-2011
And these 250mm armour is only at beak/joining point of upper and lower plates. Upper plate (glacis) is IIRC 140mm at 60 degrees.