Light At The End Of The Tunnel.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Hat3breeder #1 Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6524 battles
Greetings,

I was actually going to post this at The Biggest ******* Rant Topic in WoT but since it kind of deviates from the original topic of the thread and it is, in my eyes, of a significant importance, I decided to create a thread of its own for its specific discussion and subsequent thoughts exchange.

Very well then, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, parallel to the development of Wargaming's World of Warplanes, there's also another flight combat F2P MMO being developed, by Gaijin Entertainment - a company with actual experience in flight combat games and with proven quality - , of the name World of Planes. This game was actually already being developed long before even the mentioning of Wargaming's World of Warplanes, thus the similarities even in the names (quite the low move by Wargaming, to name its game so similar to Gaijin's, but that can be somehow negligible).

Now the curious thing is, recently the game's name was slightly changed, from World of Planes to War Thunder: World of Planes.
But why?

To get my oh-so-pertinent question answered, I decided to do some deep down dark investigation (aka, visit the game's FAQ page) and found these very peculiar pieces of information:

What caused these changes in the game's name?

The online multiplayer universe we are developing has evolved beyond pure aerial combat. The massive historical battles featured in War Thunder cannot be fought with aviation alone—World of Planes is only the beginning.

Did you saw it?
Here:
"The massive historical battles featured in War thunder cannot be fought with aviation alone - World of Planes is only the beginning."

"cannot be fought with aviation alone" "World of Planes is only the beginning."

Quite epic and daring the way they tell us airplanes are only the begging, isn't it? And how  there's more to come and that they'll reach everything a battle has...(Battles had tanks, right?)

Even further down the page you find this:

You must know that Wargaming.net is publishing a game very similar to World of Planes. What is the most important feature that differentiates your game from theirs?

Of course we know this. (We’ll point out that we started to work on our project and announced it long before them). So that’s Wargaming who should be asked why they chose such a similar name.
Planning to offer realistic massive battles we’ve never been going to limit our project to the skies. Sooner or later War Thunder MMO will offer a full-scale action for air, land and sea vehicles to fight together. Using our rich experience in aviasim games development we are going to make our project attractive to a wide gaming audience.

War Thunder: World of Planes features include:
• Varied PvP-experiences set in full-scale combat missions
• Multiple settings options allow advanced virtual pilots and beginners to enjoy playing the game together
• Rich PvE content: dynamic campaigns, standalone missions, mission editor, and much more for single-player and cooperative gameplay
• Impressive diversity includes detailed models of planes and their cockpits, as well as tanks and ships
• Astonishing graphics, authentic sound effects, and beautiful music
So, World of Planes is only the beginning of the exciting path to huge multiplayer universe of War Thunder.

And now the change of name starts to make even more sense and the excitement is definitely growing.

This is what seems it will be the rival for World of Tanks and its brothers and even more important, the most likely nail in Wargaming's coffin.
Sure you have to read throw the self-promoting part of the answers, but still...
Great things are to be expected from Gaijin and its War Thunder series. Things like a brighter future for the one's who relentlessly seek for another tank based MMO and find nothing. Things like long coming justice being served to a certain deserving development team.
Good things, that is.

Anyway, please please feel free to add your thoughts on the subject.
Cheers.

ironhammer500 #2 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5766 battles
Hmm Looks likes wargamming has a rival thats gonna win...they have British planes so yea, FU world or warplanes for not having brits ill play their game instead.

Seems like its gonna be a better made game, its about time someone made a online tank/plane/ship game i hope these guys do, might kick wargamming into acutaly making a proper game rather then lapping up cash from us idiots...

Btw this is gonna be removed, purely coz the mods will get jelly  :lol:

Edit: had to point this bit out tho.

So that’s Wargaming who should be asked why they chose such a similar name.

begs the question is wargamming just coping? i see a lawsuit in the future if their not careful.

Ragnar_Best_Earl_EU #3 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33700 battles
It's quite easy to make promises and things that will blow you away...

...but reality tends to hit you hard when you need more and more time to make those promises come true and your company goes bankrupt in the meantime.

The times are hard and plane simulators have always been a niche branch of gaming. Even, if they do live up to their words, it's all meaningless if they run the servers for six months and then go bust.

RO_Cruciatu #4 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 7635 battles
signed up for beta!

TankkiPoju #5 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20087 battles
I can honestly say I love WoT.

But I can also honestly say if anything better comes along, I'll switch in a heartbeat. Just because of the extremely low level of support for EU servers, and the extremely lacking communication.

Hey, at least they won't add French overpowered airplanes!

I kid, I kid!

But srsly it's only a matter of time before some big studio develops a tank warfare game as MMO. Properly.

Hat3breeder #6 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6524 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 17 March 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I can honestly say I love WoT.

But I can also honestly say if anything better comes along, I'll switch in a heartbeat. Just because of the extremely low level of support for EU servers, and the extremely lacking communication.

Hey, at least they won't add French overpowered airplanes!

I kid, I kid!

But srsly it's only a matter of time before some big studio develops a tank warfare game as MMO. Properly.

Exactly and apparently Gaijin will be the one beginning the trend.
Time will tell...

ColonelTrautman #7 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21625 battles
To be honest i'll pay never premium again with a Wargaming product. Will much prefer a game model similar to Bf3 where you pay for the product and thats it. None of this changing the goal posts every patch just to suit their bank balances.  World of airplanes i believe will be like the BF3 model. So at least my bank balance can RIP lol.

Nectaria #8 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles
Signed up for beta for WOP long before I became GAT for WoWP. Gajin has made a really good impression with Wings of Prey on me as for previous games.

World of Tanks I'll probably keep, but I'll only have time for 1 aviation game, and I wonder which one will get it just right!

del501170389 #9 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6962 battles
Ditto, signed for beta!

Kazomir #10 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 15268 battles
World of planes is more of a flight sim, and I as a casual player who plays WoT aswell, will choose World of Warplanes because of shared account.

And you dont know if World of Planes wont end up pay2win since it is a f2p. And WoT and WoWP (at least WoT arent so much pay to win)

And its fun to talk about Wargaming's Low blow when at the same time quoting a quote that suggest that gaijin will make a tank game/seabattle game etc.

NateBlack #11 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13499 battles
Oh.My.God.

This looks so much better than anything from WG. Signed up for beta. If I get it, I'll instantly switch. I'll go from tanks to aircraft. Why? Because fuck WG and how they treat everything outside USSR. They have taken the piss for the last time. This is clearly a superior game and company, because you can't suck much more than WG.

Fuck you Wargaming, I'm off. I've had enough of your bullshit, lies and straight up incompetence. I'm placing all my bets on a unknown game and company because you've treated all your costumers as shit.

X534 #12 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23475 battles
  • [BAC0N] BAC0N

View PostHat3breeder, on 17 March 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Exactly and apparently Gaijin will be the one beginning the trend.
Time will tell...
all i can say is.... glad

p.s. long time no see hat3breeder

Nectaria #13 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles

View PostKazomir, on 17 March 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

World of planes is more of a flight sim, and I as a casual player who plays WoT aswell, will choose World of Warplanes because of shared account.

And you dont know if World of Planes wont end up pay2win since it is a f2p. And WoT and WoWP (at least WoT arent so much pay to win)

And its fun to talk about Wargaming's Low blow when at the same time quoting a quote that suggest that gaijin will make a tank game/seabattle game etc.

flight sim = less chance of noobs

Kazomir #14 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 15268 battles
Thats really fun.

Gaijin talking about low blow by Wargaming.

See, wargaming started World of Tanks before gaijin their world of planes. WG also wanted to make WoWP and WOBS (battleships)
So, gaijin, wanting to copy this, did just that, copy WG's project, but started off with a diffrent section of it, the air section.

Nectaria #15 Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles

View PostKazomir, on 17 March 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Thats really fun.

Gaijin talking about low blow by Wargaming.

See, wargaming started World of Tanks before gaijin their world of planes. WG also wanted to make WoWP and WOBS (battleships)
So, gaijin, wanting to copy this, did just that, copy WG's project, but started off with a diffrent section of it, the air section.

Gaijin and UbiSoft have been specializing in air combat long before wargaming.

It's clear they both want to beat eachother, ofcourse I can't say anything about GAT of WoWP...but...;)

Hat3breeder #16 Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6524 battles
It seems that I've not been as clear as I could have.

My main goal is not to point out War Thunder: World of Planes (at least not only) but to let you know what Gainjin has set for the future.

Please note:
"So, World of Planes is only the beginning of the exciting path to huge multiplayer universe of War Thunder."

That means they'll eventually reach the other constituents of a battle. Or to make it even clearer: TANKS!
They say it multiple times, so it's quite hard not to get excited for it.

View Posts1m4t0r, on 17 March 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

...but reality tends to hit you hard when you need more and more time to make those promises come true and your company goes bankrupt in the meantime.

The times are hard and plane simulators have always been a niche branch of gaming. Even, if they do live up to their words, it's all meaningless if they run the servers for six months and then go bust.

Of course and I agree with you on that, regarding it as a general truth.
But this doesn't seem to be an empty promise at all, given their underlining of World of Planes only being the beginning.

Not to mention how Gaijin Entertainment is not simply any development company. They're not newcomers to the industry as Wargaming was when they begun with WoT and still, even they managed to develop World of Warplanes and World of Battleships.
They will most likely have far more funds and they definitely have much more experience than Wargaming in this genre.
That's where my hopes are coming from, at least.

Todd #17 Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6133 battles

Is it really shared account? That would be amazing.

But yeah I doubt I would switch to another comp, I mean I got loads of tanks and playhrs so :/ would be a waste somehow.

I hope this brings reality to WG office. Churn out small balance patches at least once a week if this "Counter strike pvp" is going be a reality. And then large content patches everyone month.

Very good news... This competition will make WOT a better game!

Hat3breeder #18 Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6524 battles

World of Panes is not even at a playable stage and you're already judging it like that?
Even the developers themselves have said it will be accessible for casual gamers, so where are these random facts coming from?

"And you dont know if World of Planes wont end up pay2win since it is a f2p."
Again... judging a game before it's even out.
Kind of pathetic.

Look, Kazomir, I completely respect the right to your own opinion, but given your lack of arguments, your comments are looking more like trolling/fanboy-ism than any actual well thought and organized idea.
Could you please at least take a deep breath and give it a couple of thoughts before randomly commenting?

Thanks.

Praefectus #19 Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6128 battles

View Posts1m4t0r, on 17 March 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Gaijin aren't some bunch of newbies, they're a well established company - they did most of the work on Il2: Birds of Prey as subcontrators to 1C.

Personally, if they develop an armoured warfare game along the lines of WoT I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Wargaming were lucky with WoT, and their main concern is not to improve the game or make it more enjoyable, but to gouge as much cash out of the playerbase as possible - screw 'em, bring it on Gaijin.

bravotango #20 Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 27997 battles
  • [BFUSQ] BFUSQ
From the look of the tech trees it's already better than the WG game.
Also WOT is an arcade game and it's not bad as you play with tanks, but I wouldn't play an arcade flight game. All arcade flight games looks retarded to me. Might as well play IL2 again...

Don't forget that WOWP hits the shelves in 2023* probably so we have time to test other games. :D
It looks good so signing up for beta.

* citation needed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users