Jump to content


The T-54 showing its quality.


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

LisbonYoloer #121 Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29136 battles
  • 564
  • [POR-1] POR-1
  • Member since:
    04-01-2011
Okay... I hated this tank... Complaining a lot in teamspeak how this tank feels so weak compared to other mediums but still somehow managed to get over 55% victory rate and over 900 average experience... Didn't manage to get "Ace" tanker with over 1950 exp from one battle and didn't want to keep in garage after I got T-62A which seems to be more similar to good old T-44 :)

Well I combined T-54´s and T-44´s tactics with T-62A and i'm quite pleased with out come. Got 13 victories in randoms without losing and lost 4 times in CW (section being reformed and tankers have low tier tanks :P).

Well getting back to the track. I noticed best equipment for T-54 is rammer, vent and gun laying drive. (2.9s aiming time with D-54 cannon). The best tactic is to stay about 100 metres behind others and shoot from rears when enemy starts hiding, go flank them from side and snipe.

If you have to brawl (not preferred) go hug your enemy tanks side and let him pretty often ding from your turret while you can keep sending every 7s those 240-400 dmg shells.

I didn't find this tank very enjoyable to play but still got pretty decent score with it.

Edited by FireFlower, 19 September 2012 - 05:27 PM.


FafnirDrake #122 Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 14871 battles
  • 136
  • Member since:
    05-21-2011

View PostTankkiPoju, on 27 March 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Actually, you can kill a Maus in close combat easily if you get a bit lucky: Align T-54 the same way as the Maus is going and "side scrape" him while pounding the Maus with your gun.

That's sidehugging, not sidescraping. Sidescraping is a completely different tactic; One that involves using your side armor to bounce while you shoot around corners.

Edited by FafnirDrake, 19 September 2012 - 05:44 PM.


Mr_Sukebe #123 Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 32373 battles
  • 2,623
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011
Really enjoying my T54, thought I STILL have not got the top gun.  Actually I'm awaiting the replacement for the D54, so am keeping back 50k XPs for that.

Had a great game yesterday in one of the US maps (can't remember the name).  Drove into the city and pretty much crashed into an AMX.  Finished him easily, then had to settle back a bit as it was a T10 game.  However, had a great time scouting around on one of their flanks to drop in the occasional round and generally distract them, meaning that probably half of that enemy group were busy trying to either get to me, or manovering to avoid being damaged by me.  The implications being that they left themselves WIDE open for being hit by my teammates with their MUCH tougher guns.  Ended up as a fairly easily won match.  Result!
So the speed and survivability of the T54 definitely gets my thumbs up.

JonG #124 Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11775 battles
  • 201
  • Member since:
    12-03-2011

View PostMr_Sukebe, on 20 September 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Really enjoying my T54, thought I STILL have not got the top gun.  Actually I'm awaiting the replacement for the D54, so am keeping back 50k XPs for that.

Why? The shell cost is the same and it's penetration is a bit worse than D-54, damage is the same. The only positive things about D-10T2S are aiming time, accuracy and rate of fire which are a bit better.

Mr_Sukebe #125 Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 32373 battles
  • 2,623
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

View PostJonG, on 20 September 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Why? The shell cost is the same and it's penetration is a bit worse than D-54, damage is the same. The only positive things about D-10T2S are aiming time, accuracy and rate of fire which are a bit better.

Haven't you just answered your own question.  As the cost and damage is the same, the options are:
1. Better penetration
2. Better aiming time, accuracy and ROF
In the context of how I play, I believe that option 2 would be more beneficial.
Let me expand upon that.  Face off against a T10 heavy, and you're unlikely to penetrate is frontal armour, REGARDLESS of whether you have 200 or 220 penetration.  For that matter, that's true already, whether you have the LB1 or D54.
So my existing style of play is already based around flanking and hitting the enemy from the side, which is effective against pretty much anything in game.  e.g. happily circled straffed my way around several high tier heavies recently.  Better accuracy and ROF allows more effective sniping as the side of unsuspecting enemies and also improves the DPM when circle straffing.

JonG #126 Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11775 battles
  • 201
  • Member since:
    12-03-2011

View PostMr_Sukebe, on 21 September 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Haven't you just answered your own question.  As the cost and damage is the same, the options are:
1. Better penetration
2. Better aiming time, accuracy and ROF
In the context of how I play, I believe that option 2 would be more beneficial.
Let me expand upon that.  Face off against a T10 heavy, and you're unlikely to penetrate is frontal armour, REGARDLESS of whether you have 200 or 220 penetration.  For that matter, that's true already, whether you have the LB1 or D54.
So my existing style of play is already based around flanking and hitting the enemy from the side, which is effective against pretty much anything in game.  e.g. happily circled straffed my way around several high tier heavies recently.  Better accuracy and ROF allows more effective sniping as the side of unsuspecting enemies and also improves the DPM when circle straffing.

I totally failed with my comment. :Smile_veryhappy: Just read it and realized that I wrote total crap. Yeah you're right regarding all these things you mentioned. How stupid of me. :Smile_mellow:

Edited by JonG, 21 September 2012 - 09:52 AM.


Doolio #127 Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 6448 battles
  • 1,098
  • [DCDM] DCDM
  • Member since:
    06-15-2011
Ok, got my brand new T-54:)

Got it out for a bit of a test drive, to get the idea about the research path and I must say that it's pretty nimble for a stock tank. It's actually on par with Type (which is sluggish generally, but we are talking about stock T-54 here), so I would say it's pretty playable (maybe my perception is blurred because I just finished grinding VK3001P lol). So, I would say that the path should be turret-cannon-tracks-engine (I will mount torsion bars while grinding if needed). Any thoughts?

Also, it's a very long grind to elite it (or to get the gun, really) and the MM is unfavorable to it's current "stockness" (as it's a high tier tank, understandable)... So, any general advice on how to play it stock?
I could play it as a T-44 with worse MM though...

Mr_Burrows #128 Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 47166 battles
  • 2,117
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
  • Member since:
    02-17-2012

View PostDoolio, on 22 September 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Ok, got my brand new T-54:)

Got it out for a bit of a test drive, to get the idea about the research path and I must say that it's pretty nimble for a stock tank. It's actually on par with Type (which is sluggish generally, but we are talking about stock T-54 here), so I would say it's pretty playable (maybe my perception is blurred because I just finished grinding VK3001P lol). So, I would say that the path should be turret-cannon-tracks-engine (I will mount torsion bars while grinding if needed). Any thoughts?

Also, it's a very long grind to elite it (or to get the gun, really) and the MM is unfavorable to it's current "stockness" (as it's a high tier tank, understandable)... So, any general advice on how to play it stock?
I could play it as a T-44 with worse MM though...

Not having played the Type, I would say you are pretty much spot on. I'd also like to add that, having seen you in battle and with your stats on the T-44, you will be a very hard nut to crack for any opponent. The T-54 is as mobile, better armor and better gun. You will love it, I am sure.

Thomas_The_Tank_Engine #129 Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 15530 battles
  • 553
  • [OCUK] OCUK
  • Member since:
    05-22-2011

View PostDoolio, on 22 September 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Ok, got my brand new T-54:)

Got it out for a bit of a test drive, to get the idea about the research path and I must say that it's pretty nimble for a stock tank. It's actually on par with Type (which is sluggish generally, but we are talking about stock T-54 here), so I would say it's pretty playable (maybe my perception is blurred because I just finished grinding VK3001P lol). So, I would say that the path should be turret-cannon-tracks-engine (I will mount torsion bars while grinding if needed). Any thoughts?

Also, it's a very long grind to elite it (or to get the gun, really) and the MM is unfavorable to it's current "stockness" (as it's a high tier tank, understandable)... So, any general advice on how to play it stock?
I could play it as a T-44 with worse MM though...

Play it like a type with weaker armour.

It actually has stronger armour, but not compared to the guns it faces. Every game usually has several enemies with the big 750 damage guns which can ruin your day pretty quickly, so you have to be a bit more cautious. The type 59 can bounce a lot from lower tier heavy tanks (especially the russian ones with their 175mm pen), but this isn't really the case with the t-54 where lower tiered tanks like the is-3 and tiger II can penetrate your hull easily. Angling still works, but you need a building or rock to make the most of it, so you can show them a 45 degree angle on your front and hide the side that would be exposed behind a building.

Once you get the tracks and engine you can start thinking about whether their artillery is reachable, same as you would in a fast light tank.


Hull down whenever possible. Anywhere you can hulldown in the type you can hulldown in this. Mostly peeking around the side of slopes, where the bottom of the slope protects your hull.

Edited by Thomas_The_Tank_Engine, 23 September 2012 - 01:13 PM.


tomatojim #130 Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 20273 battles
  • 486
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011

View PostThomas_The_Tank_Engine, on 23 September 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Play it like a type with weaker armour.

It actually has stronger armour, but not compared to the guns it faces. Every game usually has several enemies with the big 750 damage guns which can ruin your day pretty quickly, so you have to be a bit more cautious. The type 59 can bounce a lot from lower tier heavy tanks (especially the russian ones with their 175mm pen), but this isn't really the case with the t-54 where lower tiered tanks like the is-3 and tiger II can penetrate your hull easily. Angling still works, but you need a building or rock to make the most of it, so you can show them a 45 degree angle on your front and hide the side that would be exposed behind a building.

Once you get the tracks and engine you can start thinking about whether their artillery is reachable, same as you would in a fast light tank.


Hull down whenever possible. Anywhere you can hulldown in the type you can hulldown in this. Mostly peeking around the side of slopes, where the bottom of the slope protects your hull.

pretty much right, apart from the fact that you sadly can't use all spots a Type can use, because your gun depression is worse. Actually going hulldown is hard in T-54 because of its pathetic gun depression.
sometimes you can use bumps to hide your hull, like in mountain pass f.e., but most of the time you have to expose your whole tank to get a shot off.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users